FAQs - Youth Services

What is Case Management?

Case management is a process of assessment to determine needs of a young person and/or their families. A goal plan is developed with Case Worker that provides a clear outline of strategies to achieve goals listed. Young people are encouraged to set their own goals and work towards them with support of case worker and other supports and services. The process of Case Management aims to strengthen outcomes for both families and young people through coordinated service delivery.

What is Counselling?

Counselling is a safe and confidential collaboration between qualified counsellors and clients to promote mental health and wellbeing, enhance self-understanding, and resolve identified concerns. Clients may explore: aspects of identity, spirituality, relationships with self and others, past experiences, parenting, grief and loss, trauma, domestic violence, child abuse, use of alcohol and other substances, depression, anxiety, and other experiences. Changes facilitated by counselling include: change in perspective, new insight, new ways of thinking about situations, new awareness of feelings, enhanced capacity to tolerate and regulate feelings, new actions or behaviours, and new decisions about life.

I am having difficulties with my teenager and unsure if they will engage with counselling or case management. Can I still refer them?

Absolutely. Young people are often reluctant to seek help. We would like to meet the young person and if they are not interested in engaging with the service, we are more than happy to work with parents and carers around supporting the young person, as long as the young person needs and issues are the focal point of support. We work with parents and carers around parenting, healthy behavior management, self care and coping skills.

What is a Drug and Alcohol Counselling?

Drug and Alcohol Counselling may benefit people who are thinking about the way alcohol and/or other drug use impacts their lives and are considering making changes. Drug and alcohol counsellors may assist young people by exploring harm reduction strategies, relapse education, understanding misuse of alcohol and other drugs, stress management and relaxation techniques, building healthy habits, Identifying and managing high-risk situations, triggers and cravings, understanding negative thinking patterns , problem solving and goal setting Identifying and building social support networks.

Do I have to quit drinking/using drugs if I want to see the Drug and Alcohol counsellor?

No. You may benefit from seeing a drug and alcohol counsellor if you want education, information around ways to reduce harm while taking drugs or alcohol or if you think your use may be getting out of hand. In our service we use a harm minimisation approach, this may or may not include abstinence (stopping use completely).  If you decide after engaging that you want to reduce or stop using drugs or alcohol, an alcohol and drug counsellor can help you achieve that. The choice is always with the client.

Do I have to have a problem with drugs or alchohol to see counsellor?

No. If you have concerns around a family member, parent or friends drug and alcohol use, or have been negatively impacted by another use in the past, you may benefit and are eligible for drug and alcohol counselling. You can also see a Drug and Alcohol Counsellor if you just want information or advice around alcohol and other drugs.

Can I see the counsellor if my friends or family have a problem with drugs/alcohol?

Yes you can.

Does it cost anything to use?

No. All Coast Youth Service services are at no cost to the young person.

Will I have to wait to see someone at the service?

Not necessarily. Provided you fit the criteria and your referral is accepted, you will be allocated a worker within 4 weeks from your referral being approved.

Who can use these services?

Youth Counsellors and Caseworkers can work with young people aged 12-18 years on the Peninsula, the Drug and Alcohol Counsellors are able to work with young people aged 12-25 years across the Central Coast. If you do not fit in to these age groups, you can still contact Coast Youth Service who may be able to assist you in referral to more appropriate services for you or your young person.